Deb and I have been playing around with intermittent fasting for a while now and it has really proven to be a game-changer for us so far (I’m sure I’ll blog about it when I have more data), but I’ve noticed something recently that has really caused me to stop and think. I realized that when I want to “reward” myself I go to food 100% of the time!
For example, yesterday was “balcony cleaning day” here at the condo. On the last Saturday of the month, we are allowed to break out the hoses and scrub brushes and clean the outside porches and just blow the water over the side. It’s a pain in the ass, but it makes a big difference – especially after Hurricane Irma completely salt-blasted our sliding doors and windows. The thing is that we always “reward” ourselves after porch cleaning with a big breakfast – either I make eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. here or we go out for breakfast. But, since we were fasting yesterday, there was no big breakfast and I was jarred by how sad that made me and how unmotivated I was to clean the porches.
Then, I started thinking about it… I do not have a single non-food reward system in place anywhere in my life!
What the hell? I’m not a DOG!
But it’s true! Whenever Deb and I start planning something that will make busting our butts to getting some big project done “worth it,” we automatically go to food… dinner out at our favorite restaurant, munchies in front of an episode of Star Trek, comfort food, etc. … ALWAYS… 100% of the time. And that’s just crazy! Is it just me?
I have resolved to come up with some non-food rewards that I can go to when I need something to spark my motivation in the moment. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far…
- Take a nap.
- Sleep in!
- Spend an hour away from my phone or computer.
- Eat lunch outside or at least away from my desk.
- Take a vacation day from work to do whatever I want!
- Unwind with a movie of my choice.
- Plan a long bike ride with my friends.
- Subscribe to a magazine I’ve been wanting to read.
- Buy a new song for my running playlist.
- Invest in some moisture-wicking workout socks.
- Buy a new sports bra.
- Come home with a bouquet of flowers.
- Sign up for a race.
- Splurge on a new running outfit or tri-kit (Hello, Tri*Fe Tri).
- Go for a mani/pedi.
- Treat myself to a massage!
- Get fitted for new running shoes at a running store.
- Plan a weekend getaway with Deb.
- Go to a yoga class.
- Plan our next dream vacation!
- Get a new hairstyle.
- Go to the local farmer’s market.
- Have a tourist day and do some of the fun things our town has to offer visitors (NOT Disney, thank you very much)
- Buy some new accessories for my bike.
- A new pair of earrings.