As I sit here at my computer at 5:30am, mapping out my strategy for getting all the food and such together by 6:00 this evening after finishing my 8 mile run this morning, I cannot help but muse over the differences between this party (our first since I adopted my new, clean, alcohol-free lifestyle) and parties past.
In years past, the question on my mind would be “Do we have enough beer/wine/liquor?” and “Did we make enough hot wings?”
LOL! Yesterday, as Josh and I pillaged Publix in preparation for the cooking-fest of today, I marveled at how much time I spent in the produce department!
So, for your amusement, and to capture the amazing difference just a couple of years can make, I submit for your consideration “Party Menu Past” and “Party Menu Present.”
- Hot wings (HUNDREDS of them)
- 7-layer Mexican dip with tortilla chips
- Sausage Balls
- Sausage/Rotel cups
- Baked Ziti
- Garlic Bread
- Mixed Nuts
- Copious quantities Beer/Wine
(The result would be a food and alcohol hangover that would incapacitate me for the better part of the next day!)
- Caprese Salad (Buffalo Mozzarella cheese slices layered with tomatoes and basil, drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction)
- A vegetable tree (broccoli, cauliflower, pepper slices, celery, carrots, grape tomatoes, with a yogurt based dip)
- A fruit tree (grapes, strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, honeydew)
- Turkey teriyaki meatballs with sesame dipping sauce
- Goat cheese with sundried tomatoes and roasted garlic and baguette
- Deviled eggs
- Shrimp wreath with cocktail sauce
- Mixed Nuts
- Assorted Christmas cookies, truffles
- 2 bottles of wine for guests, Oasys, coffee, water, iced tea
(The result will be that I have a few nibbles of the things I really want, sip Oasys in a wine glass to enjoy the ritual, enjoy my friends, and get up tomorrow and hit a 2 hour brick)
It’s funny, I look at the 2 menus and while I remember how good the past menus tasted in the moment, I also remember how awful I felt the next day. I look at the list of what we are having tonight and I am excited about it – I know how awesome the food will be, but it’s not about the food. I am really amped about getting such an interesting group of people together in the same space and see what happens.
Mostly, I am excited that I really have changed. I haven’t given the fact that I won’t be drinking alcohol tonight a second thought. If anything, that thrills my toes! Changing your lifestyle is not an easy thing to do, but it is SO worth it!!